More podcasters would be successful if they stopped treating their show like a hobby, and instead treated it more like a business. This is a smart approach even if you don’t plan to make money with your podcast. The first thing I tell new podcasters is to do a little market research. Don’t worry, this doesn’t have to be super involved, and it doesn’t need to cost any money.
And, by the way, all podcasters should be doing this on a regular basis. Whether they’ve been podcasting for 15 minutes, or 15 years.
How to Research Other Podcasts
- Grab your smartphone or tablet.
- Find a podcast app you like. You probably have a native podcast app built into your device.
- Subscribe to five different podcasts, in five different categories or genres.
- For the next 30 days, listen to these podcasts when you would normally listen to music.
- Write down what you LIKE and what you DISLIKE about each show.
- Incorporate what you’ve learned into your own podcast.
As I mentioned, your smartphone or tablet probably has a podcast app already installed… but there are other options. Here are some links to other popular podcast apps you (and your listeners) might enjoy…
Apple Podcasts (built into iOS devices)
🎙 Are you planning to start a podcast? Check out my online video course How To Launch Your Profitable Podcast in 30 Days, featuring more than 35 videos and dozens of handouts!