If you’re a fan of podcasts, you’ve probably thought about being a guest on one. After all, it’s a great way to share your ideas with a larger audience. But how do you become a guest on other people’s podcasts?
And what should you do to make the most of the opportunity? In this post, we’ll share some tips for becoming a podcast guest. This post will share everything you need to know about landing a coveted spot as a guest on someone’s podcast so that you can share your ideas with the world.
What podcasts are and how they work
A podcast is a digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or portable media player, typically available as a series of new episodes that can be received automatically by subscribers.
Podcasts are usually audio shows but can also be videos. They’re similar to radio shows in that they typically have hosts who introduce topics and interview guests. But unlike radio, podcasts are usually free to download and listen to.
Podcasters can make money through advertising, sponsorships, or by charging for access to premium content. Popular podcasts can have millions of listeners.
An example of a popular podcast is Serial, which is published by This American Life. Serial tells one story over a season, and each episode builds on the last. With over 340 million downloads as of 2018, it’s clearly enjoyed by its listeners.
Why people might want to be guests on podcasts
So, why should you become a guest on a podcast? Podcasts offer a great way to share your ideas with a large audience. If you have something valuable to say, being a guest on a popular podcast can be a great way to get your ideas out there.
Additionally, being a guest on a podcast can help you build your reputation and establish yourself as an expert in your field. If you do a good job and the podcast is popular, people will start to see you as an authority on the topics you discuss.
Appearing on other people’s podcasts can also help you build relationships with other experts in your field. If you’re able to establish yourself as a thought leader, you’ll be able to connect with other leaders in your industry.
How to become a guest on a podcast
Becoming a guest on a podcast takes some work, but it’s definitely doable. Here are a few tips…
- Find the right podcast. Not all podcasts will be a good fit for you. When you’re looking for a podcast to guest on, try to find one that covers topics that are relevant to your area of expertise. Additionally, make sure that the podcast has an audience that would be interested in what you have to say. There’s no point in guesting on a podcast if the listeners aren’t going to be interested in your message.
- Reach out to the podcast. Once you’ve found a few potential podcasts, it’s time to reach out to them. The best way to do this is usually via email. When you’re reaching out, be sure to introduce yourself and explain why you would make a good guest. Include a link to your website or blog so that they can learn more about you.
- Prepare for the interview. If you’re lucky enough to land an interview, it’s important to prepare for it. This means doing your research on the podcast and the host, as well as preparing some questions to ask the host. Additionally, you’ll want to practice ahead of time to sound natural and confident when it’s time for the interview. The last thing you want is to freeze up when you’re on the air!
- Promote the episode. Once the episode has been published, it’s time to promote it! Be sure to share it with your social media followers and email list. You can also reach out to journalists and bloggers in your industry and let them know about the episode. Promotion is vital, so don’t be afraid to get creative. The more people who listen to the episode, the better! This will help you to feel more relaxed and confident when you’re being interviewed.
Finding podcast guest appearance opportunities
Now that you’re familiar with the benefits of being a guest on a podcast, you’re probably wondering how to find opportunities. You can find podcasting opportunities in a few different ways.
- Podcast directories. A great way to find podcasts that might be a good fit for you is to use a podcast directory. Podcast directories are online resources that list all of the available podcasts in a given category. This can be a great way to find new and relevant podcasts to guest on. Popular online podcast directories we recommend using on your search include Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Podchaser.
- Search engines. Another way to find podcasts is to simply Google them. For example, if you want to guest on a marketing podcast, you could search for “marketing podcasts.” This will bring up a list of potential podcasts that you could reach out to. If you’re on LinkedIn, you can also search for podcasts there.
- Podcast networks. This is a great way to pitch yourself to multiple podcasts at the same time! Many podcast networks (including ours) will notify their podcasts when potential guests reach out to them. It always helps to come prepared with a one-sheet that gives more information about yourself, including your contact information.
- Podcast guest services. There are several places online where podcaster’s search for potential guests. You can list your photo and bio on these sites and podcasters will reach out to you if you’re a good fit. Keep in mind, most of these resources require some sort of fee to be listed on their website. Here are a few to check out: PodcastGuests.com, MatchMaker.fm, and Audry.io. If you’re looking for more personalized service, you can hire booking agents to pitch podcasts for you and help you prepare for your interview. The two services we recommend are Interview Valet and Interview Connections.
- Ask your contacts. If you’re having trouble finding podcasts, reach out to your contacts and see if anyone has any recommendations. You might be surprised at how many people are willing to help you out.
How to make the most of your podcast appearance
Now that you know how to find a podcast to guest on, it’s time to focus on making the most of your appearance. Here are a few tips…
- Be prepared. One of the best ways to make a good impression on the podcast host and the listeners is to be prepared. This means doing your research on the podcast and the host, as well as preparing some questions to ask the host.
- Promote, promote, promote. We can’t stress this enough! Be sure to promote your appearance. Share the episode with your social media followers and email list. You can also reach out to journalists and bloggers in your industry and let them know about the episode. The more people who listen to the episode, the better. This will help you to build your authority and thought leadership.
- Use call-to-actions. A great way to make the most of your podcast appearance is to use call-to-actions. These are essentially instructions that you give to the listeners at the end of the episode. For example, you could ask listeners to visit your website or sign up for your email list. This is a great way to generate leads and grow your business.
If you have something valuable to share with the world and want to get it in front of a larger audience, consider appearing as a guest on a podcast. It’s not always easy to break into the podcasting world, but if you follow our tips, you should find guest speaker opportunities and make the most of your appearance.